Monday, December 15, 2008

An Interior Re~Do…Thanks Sis!


We started building our house in the Spring of 2006.
{not that we have it finished yet!}


I remember watching the excavators digging the basement . I had checked my voice mail and had a message from my Aunt Sue. She was trying to get a hold of my Mom to let her know that they were taking Grandma Retz to the hospital.


A long story kind-of short we did not have a very nice spring! My Grandma was in the hospital and not doing well. Then my cousin Richie had an accident the shop he was working in and passed away. {He was just shy of turning 30 at the time.} Then Grandma Retz passed away. And the very next week we had another funeral.


Then April of 2007 Grandpa Retz passed away. We moved in our house in May of 2007. Neither Grandparent had seen our house, just pictures of us working on it.


I have collected little treasures from them and “the farm” over the years and they have just been packed away in the basement...

UNTIL NOW!!

Last Tuesday, my EVER-SO-Talented, sister Tina came over to “help” me decorate our house. The Retz Family was having Christmas here so I wanted it done!


When Tina got here we headed to the basement to go on a treasure hunt!

I never knew I had so many cool things collected! {Most would call it junk!}


Here are some before pictures:


And the after pictures...


A shaker house I had and Tina put a candle in it. There is Grandma's old flour sifter & white pitcher, a basket of eggs, an old scale and my Longaberger Harmony Basket set.


Here she put some old pots from Grandma, a picture of an old barn I had, old Milk Bottles from Greg's Mom, my collection of Ball canning jars {99% of them from Grandma!} and an old basket I found at a yard sale for $1.

This Tina had made me and my mom made the snowman thingie! :)



Tina had made me the gingerbread man a few years ago.

The garlic holder I bought at a craft sale.


My Jar Collection!

This looks so neat at night!

My Dear Husband put outlets on the top of our cabinets and put in a switch to control them.
Tina put strands of Christmas lights up on the cabinet tops for me. :)

I had all this and Tina just put it all together!

{She had dipped the light for me.}
I had these pictures in our dining room already!
We also have cork boards for the boys to hang pictures they have made.
I love to see the things they make! :)


The tray my Friend Ann gave me and I added the stuff to it.
My Mom made me the table runner.
{Tina took it home and baked it in her oven to make it look old!}





I had all this and she did that...Our Great RoomAbove the TV we ended up with a bonus "basket" shelf.

Once again Greg put in an outlet & a switch for me. {He is the BEST!}

Grandpa Retz made me the trellis and the baskets were from flower arrangements from both Grandparents funerals.






Since the Guest Room is not done we have the dresser in the Great Room.

It holds all of our CDs & Movies.




Our Christmas Tree.
Most of the ornaments were collected from the years.
My Dad & Linda give us a new one every year. :)
The buffet was my Friend Lauren's Grandmas.
My mom just made the boys Christmas stockings.

The LARGE star I bought from Tina.
This is Helen.
{Helen was Grandma Retz's middle name.}
Can you guess who made her??

Tina made it for me using fabric that Grandma was using to make a quilt, but never finished.

She made my Mom one and Named it Margaret.
{Grandma's first name.}

I got the "Love" picture from the Retz Christmas Girl Gift exchange.
Yes, Tina made that too!


My mom made me my Kleenex Kozie.
Cardinal Birds remind me of Grandma. She LOVED birds!

This my Mom made me.
It was Grandma's wooden spoon.
Well loved and used, That Grandma could cook!
I could go for her chicken & rice dish right about now!

This box Tina made, but my Aunt Sue gave it to me last Christmas as a house warming gift!

The Santa, I made when I was in Kindergarten!
I always wanted a railing to hang garland on.
And Greg put an outlet right by it to plug in Christmas lights.

Tina brought over these cute little candy canes she made out of pipe cleaners.This is our back entry way.

{we use this one the most...since we don't have a sidewalk up to the front door yet! :)

I bought the sheep from Tina.Tina embroidered the names on the basket liners for me.
{Baby crazy me, has two more baskets stored away,
just-in-case we are blessed with more babies!
hehee, I HAD to get them since Longaberger retired these baskets! :)}
We use these all year, and we use them for our "stockings" at Christmas.
The old mail box was from the farm.

My mom said when they would play it was their play mail box.

I bought this from my mom.

{She made it!}

After all of Tina's help I was inspired!
I put the stuff in my umbrella basket.
I bought some of the Greens at BitterSweet Farms in Amery.


Here is the powder room by the back door and garage.


This display case was in the living room of the Farm.

Below:

The little bird house Greg bought me in 2001...
It had my engagement ring in it!! :)
{He totally surprised me with it!}There is a little tour of some of our "HOME".

Our home was built with love
{and LOTS of hard work, sweat, freezing butts off & even blood!}
by Greg and his Parents, Loren & Karen,
Friends {Jimmy Legs, Todd & Joe} and Brothers.
We will be forever greatful!!
My family helped out when they could.
And we will still need help before we are done! :)
BTW-Grandma Kathy you may get a call soon
since we are ready for carpet in the Master Bed Room!

And now, Thanks to Tina, and her massive skills,
Our house Feels Like HOME!
Now there are reminders of our Family & Friends all over!
I just LOVE IT!! :)

Love,
Andy :)

2 comments:

Jenn said...

You have a beautiful house and a kitchen that is to DIE FOR! Justina sure did a great job decorating:) YOU GO GIRL!!!

Ann said...

Hi Andy,

It's Ann from Chicagoland. :) You & your sister are wonderful detectives to find my email! What can I say but what a wonderful way to honor your family & keep memories alive by displaying those precious keepsakes! You are so fortunate to have a close family!My Grandmother & Dad passed away within a month of each other the summer of 2007 so I understand the connections & feelings of lose. They will forever be in my heart & soul & I know that they are at peace now & no longer suffering. Keep your loved ones close & enjoy the time you can spend with them!
Both you & your sister share my love of antiques & the primitive life! I was ooooing & awwwwing at all of your neat decor!

Stampin' Smiles from Ear to Ear,
Ann :)