Monday, April 20, 2009

Model Train Show April 19th 2009

Sunday Greg & I took the Boys to a Model Train Show in Menomonie, WI.
We didn't tell them where we were going so it was a TOTAL Surprise when we got there!!
They were SO excited once they found out what was going on! :)This layout was great because the guy let the Boys run the trains. Some of the layouts you couldn't touch, and some had buttons for the kids to push that made things move, trains go around and lights turn on.


WOW THOMAS!! :) Pulling Ronald McDonald!
This was one of the layouts that the Boys could push the buttons to make Thomas go.
{Hmmm, Does he look happy or what!?!}


This was Evan's Favorite Layout:
He stood there and watched Thomas go around and around the track. Once in a while he would follow him around the layout, then Evan would go back to his "spot" to watch.

Jabin was playing with a train set.
We spent over two hours at the "Train School". It wasn't a train school, just trains AT a school. The boys just thought it was a "Train School". :)
I'm sure we could have stayed longer, but the Boys were getting hungry and My Hostess were coming over later, So we had to go.
We went to Culver's to eat. While we were eating the Women's Choir from the College in Eau Claire came in, sang 3 songs for us, got some custard and left. :) They sounded wonderful!!
The boys & I slept on the way home. Lucky for us Greg stayed awake! :)
What a fun morning!! :)

3 comments:

Ann said...

Hey Andy,

You need to take the boys to the Mid-Continent Railway Museum in North Freedom, WI. That is where my brother volunteers his time, has been on the board & is one of the webmasters for their website.

You can visit their website at www.mcrwy.com.

When Alyssa was little they still had the steam trains running & it was quite the experience! It's really neat to ride in the old cars even though they are repairing the steam locomotives right now! You feel like you've gone back into time. I have so many photos of us going there with my parents when Alyssa was little. :)

They had terrible flood damage with the floods last summer & almost didn't reopen. Thank goodness they have slowly gotten back on the road to recovery.

It's a neat quaint little place that has picnicing areas & is in the countryside, not as touristy as the Dells.

My brother created the kids page that I know both your boys would love to check out on the website. The 2nd photo from the left at the top of the kids pages is of my Dad & my brother when he was a little boy. You can just barely see Paul in the bottom lefthand corner. :)

Trains have been in the "Swanson" blood for generations & sadly now are ending with my brother since he's single. We used to ride every & any steam train that my Dad could find in the U.S. in the summer growing up. The Durango/Silverton ride was awesome going through the Colorado mountains, Chama New Mexico, too many to name!

Paul is a published author, has been an editor for various train magazines, etc. so the tradition has continued on through him.

I know he'd love to give your family a tour if you're ever headed that way! Let me know & I can always find out when he's at the museum.

Toot toot!
Ann :)

quba said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Patricia

http://lioneltrains.info

Anonymous said...

For your information, the trains will be returning to Menomonie Middle School on April 9 and 10, 2010. Some trains aren't for kids to touch, just look at. It's because the modelers like to have lots of things for people to look at and the trains can be 'touchy' if little hands (and larger ones) touch them. Looking with their eyes is a very good thing. Hope you come back to the 'train school' to see more trains!